Saturday, December 19, 2009

Plantain & Black Bean Fritters

I tried these at a tasting for the wedding and decided I had to learn to make them myself. I tried this recipe from Sara Moulton and modified it a little.
Ingredients:
  • 3 black plantains
  • 1 cup bread crumbs
  • 1 can of black beans, drained
  • 1/4 cup diced onion
  • minced garlic
1.) Start by mincing the garlic and sauteing it a bit, then add the black beans and cover with water.

2.) Add the plantains to a pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil.
3.) Eventually the plantains will start to split. Pull them out and mash them up. I would probably do this with a food processor next time. Add bread crumbs until dough is manageable. I used flour because I ran out of breadcrumbs, but I don't recommend it because it didn't cook entirely.
3.) Drain the black beans and onions. Put into a food processor and pulse into a paste.
4.) Mash into a kind of circle.
5.) Spoon black bean filling and shape into a fritter. Make more.
6.) Put oil in pan, fry fritters until delicious.
7.) Eat! Yummy!
(I think next time we might deep fry them. mmmmm.)

No comments:

Post a Comment