Here is the recipe for creamy au gratin potatoes - comes from AllRecipes.com with a few tweaks.
You'll notice it is actually very similar to my macaroni and cheese.
- 4 russet potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch slices (best when sliced with a mandoline slicer)
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- salt and pepper to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Butter a 1 quart casserole dish.
- Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Top with the onion slices, and add the remaining potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour and salt, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute. Stir in milk. Cook until mixture has thickened. Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 30 to 60 seconds. Pour cheese over the potatoes, and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours in the preheated oven.
If you have an oval slow cooker, this will work very well. Just layer the potatoes and onions. If you have a round slow cooker, try layering some of the potatoes and onions and then adding some cheese mixture, then more potatoes and onions, then more cheese.
I like to add some cheese on top too.
Consider sprinkling some bread crumbs on top for maximum deliciousness!