Monday, May 30, 2011

Cookbook Project: Joy of Cooking - Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie

I don't have a life list, but if I did, I would certainly be checking, "make something with rhubarb" off of it.  Because I have made a strawberry rhubarb pie.  It was amazingly good.  I was surprised, and extremely impressed with myself.
The gorgeous pie pan is from Pampered Chef, and it's so much deeper than our last. It's really nice.

Ingredients:
1 lb of trimmed rhubarb, cut into one inch chunks (this will yield about 2.5 cups of rhubarb)
2 pints strawberries, trimmed, hulled, and sliced (this will yield about 2.5 cups of strawberries and 6-10 snacking strawberries)
1 1/2 cups sugar (the Joy recipe says to reduce sugar to 1 cup for a strawberry rhubarb pie, I accidentally did the full amount used for a plain rhubarb pie, but the strawberries I was working with were a little tart.)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter
Milk or cream (about 1 tbsp)
2 teaspoons sugar
Two pie crusts.  I use the recipe also in Joy of Cooking.

Procedure:
1.) Combine strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, cornstarch, and salt.  Mix together in a bowl with a spatula.  Let sit for 15 minutes - stir occasionally - mixture will be come very juicy and red.  Preheat oven to 425.
2.) Prepare pie crusts, then pour pie into pie crust.  Top with small pieces of butter, cut up and spread out over the top.
3.) Cover with pie crust - either pricked, vented, or lattice.  Mr. Barefoot wanted to do a lattice crust, so I let him go to town.
4.) Lightly brush the top of the pie crust with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
5.) Bake for 30 minutes, then lower the heat to 350 and bake for another 25-30 minutes (until juices are thick and bubbling).  Cool completely on a rack.

I went to make this again today, but it seems that rhubarb season has passed :(.  Maybe it's still available where you are!  Otherwise, I'm trying a strawberry-blueberry pie with crumb topping and will report back.  It's basically the same recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment