Sunday, August 23, 2009

Crab Mac & Cheese

So there is a bar around the corner called Crazy Lil's. And they make crab macaroni and cheese. So I decided to try it. Considering how expensive a jar of crab is, it was actually more expensive than getting it at the bar (although it did serve four of us instead of just me). I made it for a post-tubing meal for my hockey teammates and myself today.
I did it in the slow cooker as my friend does not yet have a stove (but she has a gorgeous kitchen.) The recipe isn't perfect yet, but it was delicious and Mr. Barefoot has spent the evening eating the leftovers I brought home and there are none left.
Ingredients:
  • 3 boxes cream cheese (you can use 1/3 less fat kind)
  • 1 box pasta (I used elbow macaroni, but I think next time I'll use penne)
  • cheese (I used 2 cups of yellow cheddar, but it actually wasn't that cheesy, so I would add some white cheddar as well)
  • 1 1/2 cups half and half (try it with milk and let me know how that goes)
  • 1 lb crab meat (buy it at Costco - the Phillips lump crab meat)
  • old bay
Procedure:
  1. Pour pasta into slowcooker (uncooked).
  2. Add half and half or other dairy liquid. Add old bay.
  3. Add cheese. And more old bay.
  4. Add crab meat. And some more old bay.
  5. Cook on high for 4 hours (our slow-cooker cooks so fast I actually cooked it on high for an hour and then I switched it to low for 3 while we went tubing.)
This was delicious. I was really surprised that the pasta cooked in the half and half and the moisture from the cheese/crab meat. But it did. I stirred about an hour into it, combining all the cheese and the crab meat (and added more Old Bay). It came out sticky and creamy and a delicious combo of crabmeat and cheese and pasta.
Try it. Play with the recipe. Get back to me on how you made it and whether that worked for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment