- 4 medium yellow onions (sweet ones are fine)
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp evoo
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary or 1/2 tsp dried
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Wash the onions, paying special attention to the root ends. Peel them, then trim the pointed, but not root, end.
- Place onions in slow cooker with the cut end up. Drizzle in vinegar and olive oil. Tuck fresh rosemary in among the onions, or sprinkle on dried rosemary. Sprinkle very lightly with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on High until tender and easily pierced - about 2 - 2 1/2 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, carefully transfer onions to plates or serving platter. Pour the liquid from the crock over the onions.
Verdict: These were pretty good, but a little weird. It's a whole onion, so it's just kinda odd, and bulky to eat, but the onion itself was pretty good. I probably won't make this again though.