Answer: yes. Loosely based on this recipe.
- 1 cup pearled barley, rinsed
- 1/2 bunch chard (about 5 stems)
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 - 1 cup peas
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 4 cups water or stock
- 1 cup dry white wine (optional)
- Dice onion and chop garlic. Heat olive oil on the stove in a pan. Start heating water or stock (I use an electric kettle).
- Saute onion and garlic until translucent. Add barley and saute for 1-2 minutes. (You can also toss in a tablespoon of soy sauce.)
- Add the white wine, and once it is absorbed, add the water slowly, until barley is tender.
- While barley is cooking, chop up the chard into teensy tiny bite sized pieces. Rinse or defrost the peas.
- Once barley has pretty much cooked, add the peas and chard. Add lemon juice. Allow to cook for ~1-2 minutes.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese and enjoy your healthy dinner!