Last night, we had a breakfast for dinner new year's party. We served a five course tasting menu, consisting of:
-yogurt with homemade granola
-chocolate chip waffles with fresh whipped cream
-sausage and garlic-spinach-feta frittata
-sweet potato quiche cups and ham
-deep fried french toast and bacon
I thought I'd share the recipes for breakfast quinoa, since I'd heard about people eating it for breakfast but never tried it, and the frittata.
Breakfast Quinoa (serves 4, or 8 for a tasting menu) (cook's note: DO NOT PUT THIS IN YOUR RICE COOKER. IT WILL DESTROY IT.)
2 cups milk
2 cups quinoa (rinsed)
1 cup water
1/2 cup craisins
2 tbsp cinnamon sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
1/4 cup brown sugar (optional)
1.) Combine milk, water, quinoa, craisins on a stove, stirring occasionally. Cook on medium heat until fluffy for about 15 minutes, adding more water if desired.
2.) Add remaining cinnamon sugar, allow to cook until all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Add heavy cream and brown sugar.
3.) Serve with maple syrup.
Garlic-Spinach-Feta Frittata (serves 4, or 8 for a tasting menu)
4 eggs (6 would probably be better, we were running short)
1/2 cup feta cheese
1/2 bag spinach
4-6 cloves garlic
1 small onion
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 400 and use an oven safe skillet or stovetop pan.
1) Dice onion and garlic. Saute in olive oil or butter on medium heat until caralmelized. Add spinach and saute until wilted.
2) Combine milk and eggs, add salt and pepper to taste.
3) Toss half the feta into the pan with the spinach, onions, and garlic. Saute and spread evenly.
4) Add egg mixture and remaining feta on top of everything and continue to cook until about halfway cooked.
5) Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Enjoy!
Hoping 2012 brings you many delicious treats!