Friday, July 17, 2009

Mushroom parmesean risotto

Last week I did something a little impulsive. And, I'm not gonna lie, I did it because Mark wasn't here to tell me that I couldn't. So I scoured Craigslist and I bought myself a brand new rice cooker. Because what girl living alone in Michigan doesn't need a 14-cup rice maker? I agree, I should have asked what size it was and gotten a more reasonable size.
However, on Monday night I cooked myself 2 cups (four servings) of rice to go with the delicious sweet and sour tofu and yellow curry I was planning to make this week. It worked out very nicely - it took a little longer than the internet said it would to cook, but I put 2 cups of brown rice in and washed it thoroughly, and then put in two cups of water. I hit the on switch, and 45 minutes later, I had rice. I would recommend not starting the rice cooker when you have a slow cooker of food all ready to go though, because my sweet and sour tofu got cold.
It makes perfect sticky, fluffy, Chinese food restaurant brown rice. Brown rice is just better when it's fluffier, it's true.
So here I had 4 servings of rice, which it turns out, is a lot. So I actually got most of my meals for the week out of it. Last night I made an amazing risotto with the last of it. Here's the recipe, although feel free to play around. Quantities are not exact. Just pour.
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups cooked brown (or other type) rice
  • 6 small white mushrooms (because I only had six - go ahead, use more)
  • chopped garlic
  • olive oil
  • half and half
  • salt
  • pepper
  • veggies for a side
  • parmesean cheese (probably about a cup, shredded)
Procedure:
  1. Heat olive oil over medium heat, saute garlic until yummy.
  2. Add mushrooms
  3. Add half and half (I would say pour in at least a quarter cup)
  4. Add rice. Mix into half and half until half and half bubbles and is absorbed.
  5. Add cheese. Stir until melted.
  6. Add salt, pepper, and other spices if you are lucky enough to have them.
  7. Serve with veggies (I had brocolli and asparagus.)
Pretty darn good, and waaaaay quicker than a standard risotto.

No comments:

Post a Comment