Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving Begins

So I received a lovely recipe card box and recipe cards from my sister in law at my bridal shower.  For a little while, I was like, "I have two recipe binders...how could I possibly also use recipe cards?"  Then I started dealing with using several unwieldy cookbooks in the kitchen and decided that I should transfer my thanksgiving recipes to the cards.  
So now, instead of a cookbook or laptop, I just have the cards.  I'm also a sucker for tradition, and I love the idea of having a box of traditional holiday recipes, even if I don't make every one every year.  I also love the idea of handing these down to my kids one day.  This one is for gingersnap crusted pumpkin cheesecake, which I'm taking to my grandmother's tomorrow.  
I found the recipe on Allrecipes and changed it a little bit.  
Crust: 
Ingredients:  
  • 1 1/2 cups gingersnap cookie crumbs
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • Procedure:
  • Mix brown sugar, crumbs, and butter together with a mixer until it reaches paste-like consistency.  
  • Press into a springform pan.  This was really hard.  The crumbs did not stick to my nonstick pan, and it was very hard to press evenly or get a nice line.  This is the first time I've made a cheesecake in a springform pan though, so I think next time will go better.  


For the filling:
3 sticks cream cheese (or half a log from costco)
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups solid-pack pumpkin (in re-reading the recipe, I used 1 1/2 cans which is actually almost 3 cups...oops)
1/2 cup heavy cream 
1/3 cup maple syrup (remember to spray pam on your measuring cup before you measure this - it slides right out)
1 tbsp vanilla (I forgot this)
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon 
1/2 tsp ground allspice 
4 eggs

Oven at 325.

Procedure:
1) Cream brown sugar and cream cheese together with an electric mixer until fluffy.  
2) Add pumpkin.  Add heavy cream and maple syrup.  Add spices.  
3) Beat in eggs, one by one.  
4) Pour into filling and put in oven.  Cook for 90 minutes, let cool for 30, and then refrigerate overnight.  

Results:
1.) My cheesecake leaked.  I'm not totally sure what this is, but the pan that I baked it on came out sopping wet.  
2.) This is a very tall cheesecake, I think the 1.5 extra cups of pumpkin don't help.  Not totally sure what the crust will look like.  According to the reviews, as it cools, it will continue to cook and also possibly cave in.  

This is beginning to feel like a bad idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment