- 3.5/4 cups stone ground cornmeal
- .5(3/4) cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cups milk (I used milk powder because somebody used up all the milk)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 to 2 teaspoons vegetable oil for the pan or skillet
Preparation:Heat oven to 425°. Put a sturdy 8- or 9-inch iron skillet or square baking pan in the oven.
In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking powder. Whisk to combine.
In a large glass measuring cup or a bowl, whisk the 1 1/2 cups of milk with the egg and melted butter. Stir into the dry mixture until blended.
Carefully remove the hot pan from the oven and swirl a teaspoon or two of vegetable oil around in it until the bottom is coated. Spread the batter in the pan and bake the cornbread for 22 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.I used my Le Cruset Stoneware Baker. It's such a good size for 2 - person dishes.