Monday, February 14, 2011

Burger Salads

Over the weekend, we had veggie burgers but no buns.  I was not in the mood to cook an elaborate meal and we didn't really have time anyway.  Not wanting to eat another box of Annie's Mac & Cheese, we threw some burgers on the George and resigned ourselves to the fact we didn't have buns.

I had Spinach and our Aerogarden was ripe for picking, so I started making myself a salad.  We had goat cheese as well and since Mr. Barefoot and I had opted to split a veggie burger, in addition to each having our own, I decided at the last second to cut mine up more and enjoy it with my salad. The back of the box is always recommending I have my veggie burger with a salad, but this was the first time I've tried it.  It was delicious, and it made up for both the fact that we didn't have burger buns and we didn't have croutons.  You can do this a million ways, I'm sure, but here's mine:

Ingredients:
1 Tomato Basil Pizza Burger or Bruschetta burger
1 cup spinach or mesclun greens
1 oz goat cheese, crumbled
1 tbsp balsamic vinaigrette (the burger adds a lot of flavor so you really don't need to drown this salad.)

Procedure:
Put burger on grill or in microwave.  Wash and spin salad greens, put them in a bowl.  Add goat cheese and vinaigrette.  When burger is done, cut into bite sized pieces, add to salad.

1 comment: