Saturday, March 19, 2011

Pavlova

Have you had pavlova?  It's dessert pizza, with meringue for crust.  We had my aunt and uncle over for an Irish themed dinner and I made pavlova, which is technically from Australia or New Zealand, but it came up on a list of Irish desserts and I've been dying to make it.  When I announced I had made pavlova, my aunt said, "the last time we had that, we were in Ireland."  So, I felt pretty victorious.

This recipe is adapted from Joy of Baking.
Pavlova Meringue
Ingredients:

  • 4 egg whites 
  • 1/8 tsp cream of tarter 
  • 1 cup caster sugar (just grate it in the food processor)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 tsp vinegar
  1. Whip egg whites and cream of tarter until soft peaks form.    
  2. Add caster sugar slowly, a few tablespoons at a time.  
  3. Whip until stiff peaks form and egg whites are stiff and glossy.  (Joy of Baking recommends beating until sugar is no longer grainy.)
  4. Add vanilla extract and continue to beat.  
  5. Sprinkle cornstarch and vinegar over the top of the eggs and fold in with a spatula.  
  6. Spread pavlova into a circle on the un-shiny side of foil or the waxy side of parchment paper.  
  7. Bake at 250 for 75 minutes.  
Mine was underdone in the center and stuck to the parchment because I used the wrong side and undercooked it a little.  I would even consider going 80+ minutes and then turning off the oven and letting it cool completely with the meringue inside.  

To make the rest of it, just mix 1.5 cups heavy cream with 1 cup confectioners sugar and beat with a mixer until it forms whipped cream.  Spread over filling and top with sliced berries and other fruit. (I used sliced strawberries, blueberries, raspberries.)  

We finished this off and licked the platter clean.  I highly recommend making it if you have the time - it's a crazy-easy dessert that packs a really impressive punch.  

No comments:

Post a Comment