Saturday, March 19, 2011

Small Batch Cupcakes

One of my favorite baking books is Small Batch Baking.  I love how on nights like last night, when I was craving something sweet, I could whip up a batch of cupcakes and eat half of them without feeling guilty, because half is just three.  These cupcakes were delicious, and the first time I've made cupcakes without using a mix, so I was very pleased they weren't a disaster.

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
  • Vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp butter, at room temperature
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp baking powder
Procedure:
  1. Heat oven to 350.  
  2. Combine buttermilk, egg yolk, vanilla, stir to mix.  
  3. Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder.  
  4. Add butter to flour, mix with an electric mixer until combined.
  5. Add half buttermilk mixture and mix with flour until well blended and changes color slightly.  
  6. Add remaining buttermilk mixture.  
  7. Pour into muffin tins or silicone baking cups (I got a set from my friend Catherine and they are awesome.)
Icing
Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 tbsp shortening
  • 1 tsp milk
  • 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
Procedure:
  1. Mix everything together with a hand mixer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment