Carrot, Potato, and Onion Gratin
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 large russet potatoes, unpeeled, thinly sliced
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut on the diagonal and long thin slices
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup well-flavored chicken stock
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a "gratin dish" (I would use an 8x8 pan)
- Layer 1/3 of potato slices in the bottom of the greased dish. Add a layer of half the onions, and then half the carrots.
- Add 2 tbsp of butter on top of the carrots.
- Pile on more potato slices, half the onions, and then the rest of the carrots. Add more butter, than the last of the potatoes. Add the last of the butter.
- Pour in the stock. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes; then uncover and add cheese and bake for another 15 minutes.