Sunday, April 17, 2011

Things to do with chard and arugala

Our biggest hesitation with signing up for the CSA share was the amount of greens that we knew would be coming our way in June.  Sister Barefoot, our CSA partner, does not care for arugula, so I know we're getting a lot of that, and we also know we're getting more than enough (read: any) chard.  So when we go through cookbooks now and look for recipes, we tag ones that have arugula and chard, and look forward to making them this summer.
Here are a few I've tagged -

Black Eyed Peas with Chard and Soba Noodles - p. 140, Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker
Arugala Pesto - p. 32, Dishing up Maryland
Shepherd's Pie with Chard-Lentil Filling - p. 171, Meat Lover's Meatless Cookbook
Cherry Tomato, and Black Bean Salad with Spicy Lime Vinaigrette - p. 201, Big Green Cookbook
Whole Wheat Pasta with Arugula - p. 176 Cooking from the Garden

We'll also be following the Baltimore Sun's Dining at Large blog, which features guests posts about Living in the CSA, and this local farm's blog which includes recipes about vegetables that are currently in-season.  The farm we are getting our CSA through has some recipes, but a relatively unappetizing selection considering how popular their CSA is.  I'm just saying, I think a forum which allows people to ask, "WTF do I do with the sh*tton of beets I got this week?"  would be helpful.

Any more resources for me?

2 comments:

  1. I'll share any recipes I get with my CSA!

    One of my favorite things is googling what to do with ___.

    Seems to work. There's this red pepper cream soup that you put greens in, and it's absolutely brilliant. If I find it I'll share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All my favorite chard and arugula recipes come from Mark Bittman:

    -Chard with Tahini
    -Kale or Chard Pie
    -Grits Gratin with Arugula, White Beans, and Garlic

    I'm pretty sure all of these are in How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. I've also written about them on my blog. Good luck! When does your CSA start? Mine doesn't start until the end of May.

    ReplyDelete