Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Night Tricks & Treats

You may have heard that last night was election night. Apparently that elitist-terrorist-muslim guy won. While the relief I'm feeling should be much greater, the way it is for most people, and my sense of history and finality should be tingling, I am nervously waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm waiting for something. I don't know what. It seems unreal that an election can be resolved, these days, in a single night.
My good friends Mama Awesome, Baby Awesome, Papa Awesome, Mr. Redline, and my nonblogging friends, watched the returns and enjoyed Spinach and Artichoke Dip, Buffalo Chicken Dip, and baked brie in crescent rolls. For dessert, there was the best pumpkin pie ever and chocolatey-peanutbuttery-cookie bars, which were amazingly chocolaty.
I will hopefully get a guest blog post from Mr. Redline and DNA as to how to make their election night foodery. For now, here is a recipe for brie wrapped in crescent rolls. Because brie is the food of elitists, terrorists, and winners.

Ingredients:
  • Brie cheese (I used a 6 ounce wedge, you can use any size. For a larger party, use a round.
  • Crescent roll dough (if you are using a full round of brie, you may want to use 2 loafs)
  • Optional - cranberries, chopped nuts, or apples
Equipment:
  • Cutting board
  • Rolling Pin (I made this at the Awesome's, so I didn't have access to one of these, but I wished I had had the foresight to bring my own. I spent very little time at home yesterday. I spent 23 hours out of the house.)
  • Baking dish - I used an 8x8 pyrex dish, but I think I probably will go with a regular aluminum cookie sheet in the future.
  • Oven at 375 (I will experiment with the temperature in the future)
Procedure:
  1. Roll out crescent dough. Do not cut into little triangles. Instead, roll into a large rectangle or oval. (Probably about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch thick
  2. Place brie in the center of dough.
  3. Add cranberries, fruit, or nuts.
  4. Wrap dough around brie. Imagine wrapping a gift, but instead of wrapping paper, you are using dough. Everything should be covered.
  5. Bake for 20-40 minutes. I don't know how long it actually took to cook, because I had to leave the party.
I had it cold, which was less good, because I like cold brie less. But I was told that it was decent. It could have been by people trying to stoke my ego, but really, I think they generally think that I think highly enough of myself and my cooking that they don't need to do that.

1 comment:

  1. Buffalo Chicken Dip:

    2 packages cream cheese
    2 cups cheddar cheese
    2 cans of chicken
    1 bottle of Frank's Red Hot Sauce
    1/2 cup Ranch Dressing

    1) Heat cream cheese in saucepan
    2) Add chicken, Red Hot Sauce, and Ranch
    3) Add 1 cup of cheddar cheese
    4) Serve hot with chips, sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.

    *Note: You can substitute low fat cheddar cheese, cream cheese, and ranch dressing.

    ReplyDelete