I love this soup. Mr. Barefoot and I used to make it in college, and it translates really well to the crockpot and our busy lives. We don't make it often because we rarely have tortilla chips in the house (since I eat them all.) Anyone know if it is possible to buy tortilla chips in single-serving bags?
3-4 cloves garlic
2-3 peppers, any color
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 jar tomato paste
1 pkg tofu or seitan, cut into bite sized pieces
1 cup frozen corn
2 cups vegetable broth (or 1 can)
2 cups black beans (or 1 can)
Taco seasoning (I buy it at Costco. You should too. It's delicious and makes this so much easier. Otherwise, cumin, oregano, maybe some chili powder?)
1. Chop onion, garlic, and peppers. Saute onion, then add garlic and peppers, over medium-high heat until soft.
2. Add onion, garlic, and peppers to crockpot (or a stockpot). Add diced tomatoes, tofu or seitan, black beans, vegetable broth, and frozen corn.
3. Add tomato paste, stirring it in to the soup until dissolved and soup looks thick.
4. Add salt and taco seasoning.
5. Cook in slow-cooker for 6-8 hours on low, or in a stockpot for 30 minutes to an hour.
6. Line bowls with tortilla chips, serve soup over chips. Top with a small amount of shredded cheddar cheese.