Sunday, November 1, 2009

Butternut squash bean bake.

I'm on my own for a few days, as Mr. Barefoot is out of town. I'm eating up the rest of my Costco butternut squash and found this recipe. I've adapted it slightly and added beans, onions, and spices.
Ingredients:
1.5 lbs butternut squash, clean and cubed
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can cannelini beans
1/2 cup parmesean cheese, grated.
Italian spices
salt
pepper
Olive oil

Procedure
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Heat olive oil in a small pan, saute garlic and onions until soft/transparent.
3) Combine squash, spices, oil, beans, and onions and garlic in a bowl. Toss until coated.
4) Pour mixture into a bowl and cover with parmesean cheese.
5) Cook for 50 minutes.

Verdict:
This was good, but make sure to cube the squash a lot smaller. The stuff on the bottom was great, but the stuff on the top did not cook well. I also added about a half cup of half and half towards the end (last ten minutes), and that helped a lot. I also tossed on some mozzerella cheese. I would wait to add the parm until the last 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment